Misfire only on ethanol after installing Reflex

sosiiick

Lurker
Mar 25, 2020
My old setup was running fine. I had a separate 93 and e85 tunes with PI control using an AIC2.

I installed a Motiv Reflex to run a flex tune (so I wouldn't have to switch maps all the time) , control boost, control 2nd fuel pump. I also upgraded to b58 coils. When I am only using 93 (e15) the car seems to run great. We moved on to tuning on e and now the car is breaking up. I am currently at e50 in the tank, mix of 93 and x98. I had used flex fuel from Rofo (e65) and had the same issue.

Looks to me like its running lean and I'm not getting enough fuel but my tuner said the file is good and says its something with my engine. So far installed new plugs gapped to .018, new VTT b58 coils, stretched the springs out to make sure the coils have good contact and replaced seals and decouplers on the injectors.

What is the best way to see if my PI is working correctly?

Setup:

DocRace (6266 gen 1)
Motiv Reflex
750cc PI injectors
450 walbro x2
BMP upgraded fuel lines
VTT B58 coils
VTT billet valve cover
stock IM but have a VTT billet IM on order
Index 12 injectors
Radium universal OCC
Wagner IC

VasN54

Lurker
Apr 19, 2021
Vancompton, WA
Ride
N54
I would take them all out then. I have seen guys take 1 out at a time and put arp studs in without removing then head.
Meh. I already have a spare 8 bolt block that's ready to go. I'll throw a weekend aside to throw my 6 bolt crank in there and run some crappy Kingtec pistons and rods until I'm done with school in 2 years where I'll do a real build.

volfwaley

Dec 8, 2023
So I've noticed that the code hasn't been popping up since I've been running E50 and u, it has been good for a few weeks now. Just thought I'd mention that since the map I'm currently supposed to be running is for E85

Forgot to mention that Jake from Motiv had to remote in and do some magic on the Reflex to get rid of the misfires. The MHD 005 code was still present every now and then

Yourbuddysatan

Private
Feb 14, 2024
Ever since I have been in e85 even with flex fuel tune I keep getting mixture imbalance code. I can’t trace the problem. Car runs fine. If anything it is a little rich in boost but cruising I can see STFT are so far positive that it trips the light within a mile or 2. Wedge even deleted the purge valve to the fuel tank and I blocked it off. It’s like a major vacuum leak but I cant find one anywhere. Very strange .

VasN54

Lurker
Apr 19, 2021
Vancompton, WA
Ride
N54
Ever since I have been in e85 even with flex fuel tune I keep getting mixture imbalance code. I can’t trace the problem. Car runs fine. If anything it is a little rich in boost but cruising I can see STFT are so far positive that it trips the light within a mile or 2. Wedge even deleted the purge valve to the fuel tank and I blocked it off. It’s like a major vacuum leak but I cant find one anywhere. Very strange .
Sounding very similar to my symptoms. Sadly mine ended up being a bad scoring on Cylinder 5... Even with good compression and leakdown numbers

Yourbuddysatan

Private
Feb 14, 2024
What is strange is that before I did port. I did a e25 mix and I would get the code. When I stopped the code stopped. Now ever since I have been on full E it’s always there. Like I said before though. Reading STFT and long term the numbers are high. Like a massif leak. Under boost perfect. Made over 700whp with it like it is now.