DIY Silent Twin Plate Clutch UniClutch

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
I bought another N54 and needed a new clutch. (I have nothing to do with this company just happy I have a twin plate and its quite and I cant tell the difference of just having 550i clutch in it)

I had a spec twin plate in my 335i 8-9 years ago it was very noisy and made driving the car embarrassing with the rattling and was difficult to drive.

I have seen similar experience with extreme twin plate and all other twin plate clutches accross other platforms.

I came accross the reviews on a clutch called uni clutch being quiete and easy to drive. This clutch is a new concept that does not use the flywheel to engage and disengage. Sounds weird, yea it is.
It can be used on a dual mass or single mass flywheel.

What you can get for n54 is a uniclutch 1320nn or 980ftlb rated clutch.
You can literally use the clutch like normal even while at idle you can let the clutch out without any shuddering.
The clutch gearbox or whatever rattles does not rattle it is silent.

The days of noisy difficult twin clutches are gone.

Heres video of mine installed. Im pushing the clutch in and out. You can here it engage and disengage but otherwese its silent.

Part number for clutch UC0821200
Cost $1316 aud
Part number for N54 install kit UCFK-08273-A-001
Cost $204 aud

Clutch noise, or lack of noise video

DIY

Last edited:

jzx_andy

Corporal
May 22, 2019
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
2008 E92 335i 6MT
Looks good dude. Would they still be quiet with a SMF? I think the SMF causes most of the annoying noises in 53BZ applications. The usual twin plate rattle with clutch pedal in is very minor in comparison to our SMF gear chatter IMO.

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Looks good dude. Would they still be quiet with a SMF? I think the SMF causes most of the annoying noises in 53BZ applications. The usual twin plate rattle with clutch pedal in is very minor in comparison to our SMF gear chatter IMO.
In all the reviews they are quite.
It has in built dampeners.

If I make enough power to get false missfires from dmf ill get a smf and find out for sure.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Nice @Brule! I've been very curious about these ever since I saw this Motive vid:

If my xclutch ever dies, I am 100% going to run one of these.
Would love to hear from someone what the difference between this and the xclutch organic is, function and drivability

Over the last 40k miles my xclutch has started getting noisier, it was virtually silent for about 20-30k miles. Still works great though.

• Agree
Reactions: I am Jacks N54

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Im sure these will become the new go to clutch. Not just for n54.

Drivability is really like a 550i clutch.

This supra has a single mass flywheem and is silent.

Reactions: jzx_andy