S55 In a E92???

walker16

Oct 17, 2024
I came across a great deal on a s55 long block (free) Just need the crank to be polished and I got a machine shop that that do that easy..

cant find any detailed posts on this done before. Mainly just wondering if anyone know if the mounts will all line up or custom motor mounts are needed. Also how much of a pain in the ass is the electrical going to be???
I have a N55 long block and S55 long block sitting in the garage and trying to decide what project to undertake. Im gonna do rods, pistons, valves, springs and big turbo on whichever I choose to use.

I had a plan to just build a N55 but this free S55 is making me rethink my plan cause a built S55 in my 2011 E92 would be pretty cool!

Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.
(plus that closed deck block on the S55 is just sexy!)

fr_8939_size880.jpgfr_8964_size880.jpgfr_8955_size880.jpg

wheela

Captain
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
This guy's putting an s55 DME on his n55, may be good to follow and see how he handles the electronics/coding side:

Reactions: walker16

walker16

Oct 17, 2024
This guy's putting an s55 DME on his n55, may be good to follow and see how he handles the electronics/coding side:

Thanks for the link. Thats the part im most concerned about!

Reactions: wheela

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
I came across a great deal on a s55 long block (free) Just need the crank to be polished and I got a machine shop that that do that easy..

cant find any detailed posts on this done before. Mainly just wondering if anyone know if the mounts will all line up or custom motor mounts are needed. Also how much of a pain in the ass is the electrical going to be???
I have a N55 long block and S55 long block sitting in the garage and trying to decide what project to undertake. Im gonna do rods, pistons, valves, springs and big turbo on whichever I choose to use.

I had a plan to just build a N55 but this free S55 is making me rethink my plan cause a built S55 in my 2011 E92 would be pretty cool!

Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.
(plus that closed deck block on the S55 is just sexy!)

View attachment 101443View attachment 101444View attachment 101445

Hello, one of the reasons I did not go with the S55 (apart from the price of a used block!) is because of the cylinders which are aluminum with the special spray on liner coating, I don't think this can be redone if boring or honing is required, a full re-sleeving would be required. I think you should have the block checked out first before making the decision.

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020

This is only because I'm going twin turbo, he is going single.

Reactions: wheela

walker16

Oct 17, 2024
Hello, one of the reasons I did not go with the S55 (apart from the price of a used block!) is because of the cylinders which are aluminum with the special spray on liner coating, I don't think this can be redone if boring or honing is required, a full re-sleeving would be required. I think you should have the block checked out first before making the decision.
I read about the coating on the cylinders and heard the same thing as you. Mine came from a dealership and the motor was pulled and replaced under warranty and the engine only has 30k miles on it. I stripped it down to the bare block a couple days ago and the block, cylinders, head, cams and everything look great! Slight scoring on journal 5 on the crank and connecting rod. My machine shop already said crank is easily reparable since it’s forged unlike the n55 cranks and I planned on new rods anyways. I definitely dodged a bullet!

walker16

Oct 17, 2024
Yep, but you'll both have to get the s55 dme playing nice in your cars😉
Getting the mechanical and mounting is my main worry right now. My buddy at the dealership has been a master tech for 25 years mostly works on EVs now so he told me he can make the electronics work so I’m trusting him on that one! lol.

walker16

Oct 17, 2024
Do you guys know if a 6mt out of a e92 or f80 or the same? I already have the clutch from a f80 m4 im just not sure if it’s possible to put that clutch in my e92.

fstbtstr

Private
Apr 14, 2024
e9x modules in general communicate by CAN. fxx chassis added FlexRay, and unfortunately, S55 DME uses flexray to communicate with modules like DSC. Not to mention that CAN protocols are not the same. Even if you solve CAN communication issues (gateway or DME code changes), you'll still need to deal with FlexRay. Is it doable? Yes, cause "hey, we're living in a time of string theories and God particles". The question is finding time, money and skill. Somebody put a B58 into e92, but not sure how much money and effort it took them.
Bottom line, is I think this can be done, but will be a big project, not just bolting an S55 instead of N55 cause you got a good deal on it.

• Informative
Reactions: wheela and mwpa71

walker16

Oct 17, 2024
Do you guys know if a 6mt out of a e92 or f80 or the same? I already have the clutch from a f80 m4 im just not
e9x modules in general communicate by CAN. fxx chassis added FlexRay, and unfortunately, S55 DME uses flexray to communicate with modules like DSC. Not to mention that CAN protocols are not the same. Even if you solve CAN communication issues (gateway or DME code changes), you'll still need to deal with FlexRay. Is it doable? Yes, cause "hey, we're living in a time of string theories and God particles". The question is finding time, money and skill. Somebody put a B58 into e92, but not sure how much money and effort it took them.
Bottom line, is I think this can be done, but will be a big project, not just bolting an S55 instead of N55 cause you got a good deal on it.
your last sentence is what I’ve been thinking all day. Would be awesome to say I put a S55 in my E92 but after the cost of dme, wiring harnesses, fuel system, alternator, water pump, coils, etc…. and the list goes on.. its getting pretty expensive and time consuming. I’ll probably just fix the crank and freshen up the S55 and sell it as a complete long block to someone that needs one in a F80 car.
I guess I’m back to the N55 build unless I sell everything and just buy a M4 🤦🏼‍♂️

Dumaurier7

Lieutenant
May 19, 2020
Yep, but you'll both have to get the s55 dme playing nice in your cars😉
Well the DME does not know what block it is running, once it sees the inputs and outputs it is looking for it will be happy. The N55 DME will work but the EWP has to be coded out, in fact I would look at using the S55 auxiliary turbo cooling water pump in its place .

Last edited: