F8X Running no BOV on full frame turbo N55

ChrisD

Lurker
Jul 30, 2024
Has anyone thought about (or actually tried) not running a BOV on the N55?

I see people saying that venting to atmos can do weird things with a MAF, and it seems there's some potential issues with a normal BOV due to the valvetronic system, so lets say I don't care about the much debated "damage" to the turbo from the off throttle surge (and actually prefer the sound) then would no BOV be a realistic option?

Any potential issues with that outside of the potential extra turbo wear?

To clarify, this would be with a G30-770 turbo and external wastegate. Not talking about stock or hybrid turbos.

onedirty5

Lurker
Jul 29, 2021
I'm doing it and it's running just fine for several years now. No damage to the turbo from surge. I actually had issues with running the bov as sometimes it would randomly bleed off boost in the middle of a pull, so ultimately got rid of it. All done on a mafless setup.

Reactions: ChrisD and wheela

wheela

Captain
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I'm doing it and it's running just fine for several years now. No damage to the turbo from surge. I actually had issues with running the bov as sometimes it would randomly bleed off boost in the middle of a pull, so ultimately got rid of it. All done on a mafless setup.
Do you get any flutter sounds on let off, or does it sound like normal? Do you get any DV related codes? What turbo are you running?

ChrisD

Lurker
Jul 30, 2024
ah thanks, good info. I was planning to keep the MAF but I think it should work ok with that anyway... I guess I'll find out soon lol

onedirty5

Lurker
Jul 29, 2021
Do you get any flutter sounds on let off, or does it sound like normal? Do you get any DV related codes? What turbo are you running?
Yes, flutter is there, I'll see if I could get out and make a POV driving video this week. No DV related codes thanks to custom tune. Running a borgwarner sxe journal bearing turbo.

straight_methhed_up

Sep 8, 2024
What ex. manifold do you use for the bw sxe? I haven't seen much in the way of t4 flanged manifolds. I know space is limited. TIA

valpfrmnc

Private
Nov 11, 2023
For Racing you are certainly looking to get a BOV as you will slow the turbo down. If thats not your concern and the turbo bearing is strong enough then no BOV needed.