Technical MLS or Cutring Head Gasket?

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
Just run a Victor Reinz HG with studs and call it a day. Works fine on my build as well. No spraying around or whatsoever.

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
From what I read, I thought the Cutring type gaskets sealed the cylinders better, but has more issues with sealing around the coolant ports? Is that not the case? Any special type of machine work needed to the block or head to run the gasket? What brand would you suggest? Thanks!
There is no reason a well designed cut ring gasket is letting go around coolant ports any more than another type of well designed gasket. The hardest job the head gasket does is stop the cylinder pressure getting out.
Unless the design is hot trash , the reasons pretty much any gasket is failing on coolant ports is because of poor or non existent head/block prep. I can see the temptation of skipping that for cut ring as it doesn't require the same level of prep as MLS but, that shouldn't mean you aren't checking surfaces and doing what is needed.

seb.apprenti

Sergeant
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
@IQraceworks I would like to ask a question. what option did you choose to hold the cylinder head? original screw, ARP studs 9mm+11mm, ARP high boost studs 11mm? personally I am completely lost. I have Hydra HP 800 gen2 with almost 25psi sp95 (eur) and a lot of methanol...I know that soon I will either melt a piston or lift the cylinder head...or even both. I don't intend to close the engine block...and don't really want to go for high 11mm boost studs unless it's totally essential. there are so many contractions. I hope I didn't pollute your post

seb.apprenti

Sergeant
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
I wouldn´t take advice from that guy. Anyone else. But seriously not him ;)

If you want to be bullet proof. ARP 11mm all around with Athena Cut Ring. That is where many of the 1000hp guys go.
I take note of your advice... personally I don't want to go that far. I don't think I'll exceed 650whp...that's why switching to 11mm poses a problem for me

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I take note of your advice... personally I don't want to go that far. I don't think I'll exceed 650whp...that's why switching to 11mm poses a problem for me
Ok so I typically look to provide myself a 150-200% safety on things. Over engineering so to speak. So if I'm looking for something that will hold 650whp, I want something rated for 650 * 1.5 = ~1000 whp.

Offering another rationalization for upsizing.

Reactions: seb.apprenti

seb.apprenti

Sergeant
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Ok so I typically look to provide myself a 150-200% safety on things. Over engineering so to speak. So if I'm looking for something that will hold 650whp, I want something rated for 650 * 1.5 = ~1000 whp.

Offering another rationalization for upsizing.
great thank you, I take note of your thoughts. I haven't yet done any further research on 11mm studs. what's more, it's a very technical subject...and Google has a lot of trouble translating. for the installation I thought it was necessary to "simply" drill and then redo the thread... but this weekend I heard about the NS300l inserts... I watched a few videos... but I can't really understand its importance . sorry I don't want to bother you with stupid questions

seb.apprenti

Sergeant
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
IMHO there is no need for any of this when running boost pressures below 2.0bar on gasoline-based fuels especially (even with meth), and certainly not on an open-deck block.
Hi Omar. Thank you very much for your feedback samstars (a French guy you know) gave me the same opinion as you this morning. In the future I will stick to the original screws...a Victor Reinz head gasket....but install quality Mahle pistons and connecting rods.

Reactions: Hydra Performance

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
great thank you, I take note of your thoughts. I haven't yet done any further research on 11mm studs. what's more, it's a very technical subject...and Google has a lot of trouble translating. for the installation I thought it was necessary to "simply" drill and then redo the thread... but this weekend I heard about the NS300l inserts... I watched a few videos... but I can't really understand its importance . sorry I don't want to bother you with stupid questions
with the 35ish mm threats on the ARP studs you will need to use NS300l time serts on the outer corners.
If you are using either HCR or mine supplied studs you won't need to timesert the outer corners.

I lifted the head with stock head bolts at around 28PSI on a opened engine.

You can continue driving but I would suggest to monitor coolant pressure at least then.

BTW I have plenty studs available in case anyone needs some.

I'm using them as well with a Victor Reinz MLS gasket without issues at 927EHP/814WHP

Reactions: seb.apprenti

seb.apprenti

Sergeant
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
with the 35ish mm threats on the ARP studs you will need to use NS300l time serts on the outer corners.
If you are using either HCR or mine supplied studs you won't need to timesert the outer corners.

I lifted the head with stock head bolts at around 28PSI on a opened engine.

You can continue driving but I would suggest to monitor coolant pressure at least then.

BTW I have plenty studs available in case anyone needs some.

I'm using them as well with a Victor Reinz MLS gasket without issues at 927EHP/814WHP
Thank you very much for your feedback. Thanks to everyone's opinions, I'm starting to know what to do in the more or less near future. I hardly ride...that gives me time to prepare.