Intercoolers are not needed! (Sarcasm)

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Some kid on a fb n54 page asked a question that went something like this..... can I remove my stock air box and run two cone filters.....

I said..... There's no point unless you at least upgrade the inlets. Just drop a nice k&n stock sized filter in the box.

Some other kids reply to the effect... you need to buy a heat shielded cold air intake kit because the hot air from the engine bay will make your car run bad.....

Then I say...... the car has an intercooler to cool the air before it goes into the charge pipe. You don't need to do that.....

That just set the fb turbo "experts" off. One response... an intercooler is not a magical device that cools the air to a certain temperature. The real power builds the turbo is outside to suck in cold outside air. They don't have an an intercooler.

It's really shocking to see the dumbness out there on fb car pages.

Reactions: seb.apprenti

Cody.335i

Lurker
Jun 30, 2024
Vermont
Ride
2012 BMW 335i M-Sport
Some kid on a fb n54 page asked a question that went something like this..... can I remove my stock air box and run two cone filters.....

I said..... There's no point unless you at least upgrade the inlets. Just drop a nice k&n stock sized filter in the box.

Some other kids reply to the effect... you need to buy a heat shielded cold air intake kit because the hot air from the engine bay will make your car run bad.....

Then I say...... the car has an intercooler to cool the air before it goes into the charge pipe. You don't need to do that.....

That just set the fb turbo "experts" off. One response... an intercooler is not a magical device that cools the air to a certain temperature. The real power builds the turbo is outside to suck in cold outside air. They don't have an an intercooler.

so much misinformation that bone heads take to heart it’s crazy.

Reactions: seb.apprenti

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
so much misinformation that bone heads take to heart it’s crazy.
I find it really unsettling how much nonsense there is on fb car pages. Especially the bmw ones. All these young kids with no money destroying good cars. Trying to glue expansion tanks back together with super glue, silicon, etc.... pouring head gasket fix garbage into thier cars, making gaskets with card board, cutting up radio wiring harnesses to fit some crap radio, subs and amp in and wiring back together with just electrical tape...

I break out in hives seeing that.... lol

Reactions: Cody.335i

Cody.335i

Lurker
Jun 30, 2024
Vermont
Ride
2012 BMW 335i M-Sport
I find it really unsettling how much nonsense there is on fb car pages. Especially the bmw ones. All these young kids with no money destroying good cars. Trying to glue expansion tanks back together with super glue, silicon, etc.... pouring head gasket fix garbage into thier cars, making gaskets with card board, cutting up radio wiring harnesses to fit some crap radio, subs and amp in and wiring back together with just electrical tape...

I break out in hives seeing that.... lol
i find it unsettling aswell. I got into a debate with some n54 kid on instagram about how my n55 is probably more reliable. He proceeded to tell me his n54 is the most reliable thing on the block and boasted about doing absolutely no preventative maintenance (gaskets, fluids, etc) like congrats dude, you’re one of the many piece of shit bmw owners who treat these cars like it’s a honda accord and then cry about reliability down the road. Blah blah blah bmw’s are shitty. Nah owners are shitty, and it seems to only be getting worse as younger gens get their grubby hands on them. Obviously they have their inherent problems but what car doesnt lol especially fun ones.

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
i find it unsettling aswell. I got into a debate with some n54 kid on instagram about how my n55 is probably more reliable. He proceeded to tell me his n54 is the most reliable thing on the block and boasted about doing absolutely no preventative maintenance (gaskets, fluids, etc) like congrats dude, you’re one of the many piece of shit bmw owners who treat these cars like it’s a honda accord and then cry about reliability down the road. Blah blah blah bmw’s are shitty. Nah owners are shitty, and it seems to only be getting worse as younger gens get their grubby hands on them. Obviously they have their inherent problems but what car doesnt lol especially fun ones.
My opinion is most, if not all, bmw inline six engines are built extremely well. Change the oil, replace leaky seals and gaskets, maintain the cooling systems and they will run forever.

Modding effects reliability a bit though. When modding the mods need to be good quality and done right and watched. Higher potential for issues. But otherwise the inline 6 motors can handle the mods.

Especially the B58. That tops the n54 and n55 in my opinion.

Reactions: Cody.335i

Cody.335i

Lurker
Jun 30, 2024
Vermont
Ride
2012 BMW 335i M-Sport
My opinion is most, if not all, bmw inline six engines are built extremely well. Change the oil, replace leaky seals and gaskets, maintain the cooling systems and they will run forever.

Modding effects reliability a bit though. When modding the mods need to be good quality and done right and watched. Higher potential for issues. But otherwise the inline 6 motors can handle the mods.

Especially the B58. That tops the n54 and n55 in my opinion.
Agreed. I’ve had 7 bmw’s and I can’t say one of them has left me stranded (other than my e36 m3 that had the reman bosch alternator I put in shit the bed) which I chalk up to a fault on Bosch’s remanufacturing end, not the car. I also agree high quality mods vs cheap mods make a difference. I’m in the category of “buy once cry once”. I hate doing things twice so whatever top notch parts I can source I’ll take over some bs china parts. Yeah I hate to admit but the b58 really is on top in comparison to n54/55. Hard to beat that closed deck and overall better design. Other than all of the plastic parts they added on that I’m sure will show their faults in the years to come (oil filter housing being entirely plastic) comes to mind right off.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
58 series engines are incredible. BMW hit the mark.

Intercoolers are for nerds though. Preturbo meth is where it's at. Biggest water droplets you can get, cools the turbines faster according to Drew on FB, he knows his stuff.

seb.apprenti

Sergeant
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
This misinformation is international unfortunately. on French fb groups... there is exactly the same problem. This platform has become accessible even to young people with little financial means... but unfortunately they do not have the money necessary to repair and properly maintain their cars. They don't want to buy diagnostic tools, they only want powerful and reliable free maps... they don't want to buy new parts because it's too expensive.. for example injectors. most of them speak French poorly...writing is even worse but watch videos on YouTube (in English without understanding anything)...and thanks to these images they come to give advice, as if they were the ones who had already completed the project.. the history of cones. intake which take in hot air...so it's not good.....I read that every week.....examples like this I could write pages of them

• Agree

wheela

Captain
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
1000012909.gif

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
You must have forgotten to install the intercooler delete spool pipe its place. It's called the interfooler.
Yeah, it's one of those pipes full of miniature fans that spin at the speed of sound. They cut the air into micro molecules and then the air crystalizes into super cooled ice shards.

Cody.335i

Lurker
Jun 30, 2024
Vermont
Ride
2012 BMW 335i M-Sport
You should do it. Weight savings, plus think of the restriction you'll eliminate, it's basically a catalytic converter for your intake. Probably like a 50-100hp bump getting rid of that thing.
i thought it was just a myth but if I’m reading it on the forums, it must be true. Will report back afterwards 😈

Reactions: TheFixer and wheela

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93

So u are the "kid" stirring up shit on F.B. !
As i read it, the first question, all you had to answer is YES.
End of story.
Instigator 🙄