Hydra 800 turbos installed now getting fueling issues

chef423

Private
Sep 28, 2023
Hello. I just replaced my stock, oil leaking turbos with Hydra HP800's and the car fine fine for about 100 miles and now I am getting limp mode with these codes.

2AAF - Fuel Pump, Plausibility
29DC - Cylinder Injection Cutout (Pressure too low in high-pressure system, Bank 1)
29F2 - Fuel High-Pressure system, fuel pump
29F1 - Fuel Pressure, plausibility (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High, Bank 1)

Car has all new bolt on parts, you name it, I have replaced it. Index 12 injectors and new fuel pump 2 yrs ago. The car ran perfect before the swap so its hard to believe the entire fueling system went kaput just like that. What am I missing? HPFP was replaced some time ago with the recall.

I use MHD for tune and I did put the OEM DP's on the car with the stock bare bones tune to pass smog. Car ran fine for about 100 miles, all on highway with a few pulls. Then, car was low on gas and I went and accidently put REG unleaded in her (half a tank), got back on the freeway and about 1 mile in she went limp. Pull off at a Chevron and put proper 91 octane in her with some Lucas octane boost. But she still goes limp when I try to get some power from her, if I put around she runs OK, but not great.

One cavate is I still have the 3.5 Bar MAP sensor in her, not the OEM version. I do have MDH reading the MAP as a 3.5 but with a completely off the lot tune.

I may swap the MAP sensor back to stock and re-load MHD to see if that helps. I did send ECU / CAS / FOB off 3 weeks ago to get tested all came back 100% healthy.

Any direction from the Pro's would be greatly appreciated. I did drive the car for about 4 months with the leaky OEM turbos. New(er) vanos solenoids but could they be filthy? Also, my share of carbon buildup at the intake valves but not terrible. Like I mentioned, I bought the car @98k miles, she has 140k now in 6 yrs. If it can be bolted on, I've replaced it, there is a long long list of my upgrades. Looking for a direction.

Thanks again.

Griff500

Sep 29, 2020
Hello. I just replaced my stock, oil leaking turbos with Hydra HP800's and the car fine fine for about 100 miles and now I am getting limp mode with these codes.

2AAF - Fuel Pump, Plausibility
29DC - Cylinder Injection Cutout (Pressure too low in high-pressure system, Bank 1)
29F2 - Fuel High-Pressure system, fuel pump
29F1 - Fuel Pressure, plausibility (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High, Bank 1)

Car has all new bolt on parts, you name it, I have replaced it. Index 12 injectors and new fuel pump 2 yrs ago. The car ran perfect before the swap so its hard to believe the entire fueling system went kaput just like that. What am I missing? HPFP was replaced some time ago with the recall.

I use MHD for tune and I did put the OEM DP's on the car with the stock bare bones tune to pass smog. Car ran fine for about 100 miles, all on highway with a few pulls. Then, car was low on gas and I went and accidently put REG unleaded in her (half a tank), got back on the freeway and about 1 mile in she went limp. Pull off at a Chevron and put proper 91 octane in her with some Lucas octane boost. But she still goes limp when I try to get some power from her, if I put around she runs OK, but not great.

One cavate is I still have the 3.5 Bar MAP sensor in her, not the OEM version. I do have MDH reading the MAP as a 3.5 but with a completely off the lot tune.

I may swap the MAP sensor back to stock and re-load MHD to see if that helps. I did send ECU / CAS / FOB off 3 weeks ago to get tested all came back 100% healthy.

Any direction from the Pro's would be greatly appreciated. I did drive the car for about 4 months with the leaky OEM turbos. New(er) vanos solenoids but could they be filthy? Also, my share of carbon buildup at the intake valves but not terrible. Like I mentioned, I bought the car @98k miles, she has 140k now in 6 yrs. If it can be bolted on, I've replaced it, there is a long long list of my upgrades. Looking for a direction.

Thanks again.

I’d flash the 3.5bar tune, reset adaptations and log the drive until limp.

What is REG unleaded? I’m guessing something lower octane than 91?

I‘ve read about others fixing this with new LP sensor, fixing LP leaks or HPFP replacement.

chef423

Private
Sep 28, 2023
Thanks for the response.

The only (ill) logical issue is, the car ran perfectly clean (no codes) even with the leaking turbos back in Feb of this year. So for all this to 'fail' immediately after I replaced the (OEM) turbos with the HP800s just isn't adding up. I went to smog today, car will pass he said, but their dang machine that is connected to the State wasn't working so I have to go back a week from today (he's letting the cone intakes slide and I put the Catted DPs back on her), so flashing a new tune isn't an option until I get my little piece of paper. When you flash back to 0 Stock tune, you have to drive the car 200 miles for it to fully register with the smog ODB reader.

Started the car this morning, she ran so rough at crank. So I turned her off, cleared codes with ProTool and fired her back up. Ran fine, drove her to smog shop about 3 miles away, ran very clean but I wasn't pressing her at all. Idling at smog shop for a good 20 mins no miss-fires at all, ran very clean on the way home, but again I didn't press her.

Yes, regular unleaded gas (87 octane). I've only ever run Super (91). The car was almost out when I put a half tank in, then immediately I had issues. Maybe I just got some poor grade gas and it needed to burn out of the tank? Like I mention I filled her up from a half tank of good, proper fuel and then added the Octane boost. Car has burned about 1/6 of the tank of gas.

chef423

Private
Sep 28, 2023
Maybe try draining the tank and putting 93 in or 91 if you have to. Can't imagine things running well at all sub 91.

I'm gonna agree that is/was my issue. Hard to think the HPFP / Low PF regulator shot craps after putting sub par gas in her, that would be one heck of a timing moment. Now that I have about 1/4 tank spent, she is running better. But I'm still just putting around normal drive, no WOT moments.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.