B58 PCV issues after plugging head ports

SilentT

Sep 3, 2024
Hi people,

my name is Thomas and I am a new forum member. Reason I am here is that there is an issue with my project that I cant help myself with so I thougt I will give it a try and connect with others in the hope for some suggestions and clarifications/solutions.

My G31 540ix with Gen1 B58 had a ringland failure at 68000km. I bought a damaged spare engine because I did not know the scope of damage to my bores, but ended up using a set of Mahle forged pistons and IPR conrods in my initial block to rebuild the engine. Investigating the cause of the ringland failure I found a torn PCV Membrane and lots of oil inside the IC and combustion chamber. Then I exchanged the torn membrane for a new one and added OCC by Radium for the high side PCV and low side CCV initially designed for the GEn2 TU B58. It all worked well until 15000km later I had smoke when stuck in traffic. I noticed a loud high frequency whining noise and also an extreme vacuum pulling on the oil cap, when opened the whining stopped. Figured that the VC broke which I exchanged for a new one which seemed to fix the issue with the whining and also the vacuum. Checked my OCC, these were dry but the Intake, charge pipe, IC and DP had lots of oil so I decided to delete the PCV oil holes with set screws, I have done that on my older N54 335i which also runs the Radium OCC setup and that is a perfect and reliable setup. Inline with this modification I also upgraded to a new turbocharger ( a G30-900 derived CHRA in an OE style manifold setup). I am on a 6 map custom Ecutek setup now with plugged PCV holes, low side CCV still with the oe one way valve and a high side OCC vented back into the intake. I drove the car and had oil inside the intake pipe and charge pipe again. Last thing I did was eliminate the one way valve of the CCV to the OCC with a AN4 adapter and build an experimental PCV Cap ( Ross Racing PCV delete style ) to see what would happen if I ditch the membrane and vent the cap to an OCC, on idle I have pressure from PCV cap/with smoke and PCV exit ( left front of ther VC) as well as from the CVV ( little pressure ).

Unfortunately I dont understand what I need to modify/change within the OCC setup when having the PCV cylinder holes deletes with set screws. I also have a bad feeling about my ringlands again because before the Valve cover started pulling crazy vacuum I had oil inside the IC ( probably the combustion chamber ) again.
We were pulling great numbers on the car withthe old/oe turbo, everything seemed fine. Also after I swithed to the new turbo, felt good before I had some doubts when revving the engine and starting the car, I felt some light hesitations so I looked at the intake and charge pipe again and found oil.

Would be great if somebody has deleted PCV holes in the cylinder and is running high and low side oil catch can setups to give me a hint how the system works properly.

Sorry for my long text, I hope its not too confusing and that it somehow is understandable what I am dealing with here.

Thanks for reading
Take care
T

valpfrmnc

Private
Nov 11, 2023
First thing you should check the compression if you have concerns about the engine health. Usually a catch can setup that filters the oil will leave no or just marginal oil in the intake. If you have more than usual oil than your turbo bearing is bad or your PCV/CCV is still not filtered by the catch can.