TTE 500 mid term report ..poorly.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Here’s a thread I posted to a less technically aware group about the demise of one of TTE500 turbos…until they overhaul not sure I can comment much further..the distributor asserts they’ve sold over 8k of these and had 20 go bad for various reasons

The BMW N54 was fitted with two Mitsubishi low pressure (8 PSI boost) TD03 turbochargers.

Cylinders 1-3 and 4-6 each blew exhaust gases through a relatively small turbo..the air from a common airbox was ducted to each turbo individually, then the compressed air was merged into a single duct before going through a single forward mounted intercooler before entering the inlet ports via a single charge pipe.

TD03 refers to the 'frame' size..ie how large the overall castings were that house the turbine and compressor parts..TD03 being small..a BMW N20 engine has a sigle TD04 turbine.

The logic of two turbo chargers was to reduce throttle lag and allow quick spool (up) of the turbos through small turbines and compressors having low mass.

Not much puff was asked for (8 PSI boost) to take and engine that would have made about 250 bhp without boost to 335 (35is) with boost.

In my case at 60k miles I took my turbos of to replace them with two new TTE500 'hybrid' turbos.

They are called hybrid because they are a frankenstein turbo..that is the overall unit is made from an orginal new Mitsubishi BMW N54 turbo, but the turbine wheel, compressor wheel and other parts are designed and supplied by others..

Sadly after 2 years and 20k miles the rear TTE turbo developed an oil leak..there was a leak form the external oil feed caused by the Indy in Darlington not fitting it correctly..(cocked over and nipped the o ring)..but after fixing that more oil came out of the turbo itself..you can see the burnt oil on the clamp that connects the hot section to the cold section.

On examination it has a lot of lateral play and some longtitude play in the bearing..so much so that the turbine plates are hitting the main structure!

After looking at various options I was only really left with one..send it back to TTE in Germany..essentially not repairable by any UK turbo overhaul house due to specific TTE parts.

The distributor said they had sold over 8,000 and only had 20 duff ones..must be unlucky..Indy confirmed all oil feed lines were OK..heh ho..

Now having the orginal 60k mile originals I've decided to get them upgraded as there's a £1,200 saving if you have the luxury/time to send good units back..mine look in really good condition apart from some play in the waste gate hinge..which is a well known weak spot on the stock turbos.

So 2 boxes via Fedex to Germany..1 TTE500 to be refurbed and 2 old OE ones to be converted to TTE spec..at least I shouldn't be off the road for a prolongued period with those as back up..1st world problems..

The pics show the two sets of turbos..you can see that a TTE turbo takes the stock Mitsubishi part new and starts from there.

You can see the bigger turbine wheel and whilst not intially obvious, the compressor wheel is bigger and also has a 50mm outlet vs 47 mm ish OE oulet..turbine speed is up from around 120k to closer to 200k..hence more boost (I'm hitting 21.5 psi peak) but more wear..

We will see what gives..

Pics show TTE500 and old OE ones..you can make out just the uprated bush on the wastegate control and see the TTE500 starts life as bog stock OE turbo..

Attachments

• IMG_2890.jpeg
    IMG_2890.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2891.jpeg
    IMG_2891.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2893.jpeg
    IMG_2893.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2894.jpeg
    IMG_2894.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2896.jpeg
    IMG_2896.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2898.jpeg
    IMG_2898.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2899.jpeg
    IMG_2899.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9833.jpeg
    IMG_9833.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Sad
Reactions: wheela

wheela

Captain
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Ughh, sorry to hear one of your turbos took a dump on you. Hopefully you're replacement will be good, and arrive quickly👍

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Ughh, sorry to hear one of your turbos took a dump on you. Hopefully you're replacement will be good, and arrive quickly👍
Yes a surprise for me..others not so surprised..heh ho..hopefully turn around will be less than one elapsed month..about to take off to Germany via FedEx this evening 👌

Asian47

Lurker
Aug 23, 2023
If you had a leak on the oil feed it's likely the turbos were under lubricated especially since you were pushing them to 21 psi (larger axial load) causing the thrust bearing to fail prematurely. Does TTE use a 270° thrust bearing like OEM or do they upgrade for a 360°?

Reactions: wheela

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
If you had a leak on the oil feed it's likely the turbos were under lubricated especially since you were pushing them to 21 psi (larger axial load) causing the thrust bearing to fail prematurely. Does TTE use a 270° thrust bearing like OEM or do they upgrade for a 360°?
Not sure a relatively minor dribble from the oil feed would result in a significant loss of oil pressure to the turbo…but who knows..TTE claim an ‘uprated’ bearing ..but again no idea..

Reactions: Asian47

Asian47

Lurker
Aug 23, 2023
Not sure a relatively minor dribble from the oil feed would result in a significant loss of oil pressure to the turbo…but who knows..TTE claim an ‘uprated’ bearing ..but again no idea..
It's also possible that TTE uses the factory sized thrust bearing collar which TurboLab America says are not up to the job.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
It's also possible that TTE uses the factory sized thrust bearing collar which TurboLab America says are not up to the job.

Yup they don’t divulge any details so without stripping one down who knows..having said that they are the go to people for BMW special projects in Germany 🤔😳🏎

Reactions: Asian47

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
TTE here in Germany is not only the "go to" Brand for BMW. They do turbos for about every turbo car.
There are videos of very well known german youtubers where TTE shows everything they do and how.
Failures of course can happen.. but why are you judging on one failed set that you own? No analysis but just a little anger..

You said "no idea" what happened but speaking bad about TTE :) Weird move.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
TTE here in Germany is not only the "go to" Brand for BMW. They do turbos for about every turbo car.
There are videos of very well known german youtubers where TTE shows everything they do and how.
Failures of course can happen.. but why are you judging on one failed set that you own? No analysis but just a little anger..

You said "no idea" what happened but speaking bad about TTE :) Weird move.

Hi there..I’m not angry in any way…

I’m sharing my experience in part to let other people know that an incident happened..which I’ve stated I’m awaiting feedback as to the roots cause and to see if anyone else is aware of similar failure modes…

Given it’s had 20k gentle miles on 5 premium oil changes it’s not exactly a hard Iife with only 21.5 psi peak boost..

Also whether in future looking at some of the TD04 sized internal alternatives..

I paid high end money when I could have bought UK supplied apparently similar alternatives with TD04 internals with a Uk warranty of 12 months for 1/3 of the TTE500 price..

Therefore in conclusion I don’t think on reflection of your comments it isn’t unreasonable to ask these questions..

I’d welcome any videos / material that detail the construction of said turbos..phrases like uprated bearing lack detail…

Last edited:

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
So after 7 weeks and a lot of messing about by TTE distributor / dealer network I got my old original Mitsubishi turbos upgraded to TTE500 spec..like many others you can either have brand new OE turbos used as a basis or upgrade your originals..

I’m still waiting for my ‘real’ TTE500 turbos to be returned….expected end of September ..

It cost £2,250 not including turbos to pay for an Indy to take off and remount the turbos along with a new DCT sump .

Car is reassuringly smooth n fast..hopefully an isolated incident..

Pics show original turbos plus returned upgraded version..

Attachments

• IMG_2888.jpeg
    IMG_2888.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2953.jpeg
    IMG_2953.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2952.jpeg
    IMG_2952.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2950.jpeg
    IMG_2950.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2954.jpeg
    IMG_2954.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9978.jpeg
    IMG_9978.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9979.jpeg
    IMG_9979.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: wheela and TiAgAu

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Interested to know the specs of the TTE500's? Are they like 15T's-16T's, Rear exhaust size is larger?

Thanks for sharing.
They never disclose (on the N54) the dimensions or specs of their 500 turbos..the 500 is their broad expectation on crank BHP possible..

I went with the 500 as its a road car and I wanted fast spool..plus 525-550 crank bhp seems quick enough for me..

• TTE Highly Efficient Next Gen Billet Compressor Geometry
  • TTE Special Hi- Flow Turbine
  • TTE Upgrade bearing pack
  • Genuine actuator
  • Upgrade wastegate arm & flapper (optional)
  • Upgrade wastegate bushing (optional)
  • Fitment As Original. Plug & Play but require SM Upgrade silicone 2" inlets
  • 500+PS Proven with fast spool on 98Ron

Their '600' spec is here..

• Highly Efficient Next Gen Billet Compressor Geometry 44mm inlet
  • Special 9 blade turbines 45mm outlet
  • Upgrade bearing pack
  • Genuine actuator
  • Genuine diverter valve
  • Upgrade wastegate arm & flapper
  • Upgrade wastegate bushing
  • Fitment As Original. Plug & Play but require 2" SM Upgrade silicone 2" inlets
  • 600PS Proven
Their '680' spec is here..

• Highly Efficient Next Gen TTE Billet Compressor Geometry 48mm inlet
  • Special 9 blade turbines 45mm outlet
  • Upgrade bearing pack
  • Genuine actuator
  • Genuine diverter valve
  • Upgrade wastegate arm & flapper
  • Upgrade wastegate bushing
  • Fitment As Original. Plug & Play but require SM Upgrade silicone 2" inlets
  • 680 PS Proven

Reactions: TiAgAu