Stumped, need opinions.

Jpop

Dec 31, 2023
'08 535. New engine, new everything on engine. Catless DP, TDo4 turbos, Newer index 12 injectors, MHD tune.
Misses (?) under all but the lightest of acceleration.
There are no vacuum or exhaust leaks. Code screen shot attached.
Doesn't matter if it's the stock tune or MHD tune, the issue persist.
The O2 sensors are all new Bosch.
The pre cat sensors are not swapped and swapping the plugs makes issue worse.
The post cat sensors are correct and I have "after market exhaust" selected in MHD.
Any help appreciated. I'm new to the N54 and there's no local guys to reach out to.

Attachments

• codes.PNG
    codes.PNG
    260.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2024-06-19 06_07_11 I8A0S Stg0-1.csv
    6.1 KB · Views: 3

Jpop

Dec 31, 2023
Ended up being a leaking injector. Probably loose, haven't had time to investigate further. The O ring/gasket was gone.

Jpop

Dec 31, 2023
@AzBdevil
Thanks for the replies. As I'm new to the N54 please tell me why I should have a custom tune?
Genuinely curious. My history is pus
h rod small blocks, so you can imagine the learning curve!

wheela

Captain
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
This isn't a direct answer to your tuning question, but this thread I've linked below has some good information and links to other materials, that if you read through them, you'll start to get a sense of where the tune fits in with modern load-based turbo charged engines vs. the older hot rod v8's. In short, these engines target specific air flows into the engine and will control to that flow vs. just opening the throttle and getting what you get. Also with the forced induction, obviously you can run much higher cylinder pressures than a naturally aspirated motor, but that means it's easier to blow something up if it's not tuned appropriately.

However, if your goals are just to keep stock hardware, you don't need a custom tune. You can keep stock tune and have stock power, get an Off-The-Shelf (OTS) tune and have more power than stock, or get a custom tune which can get you more power than an OTS tune.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
@AzBdevil
Thanks for the replies. As I'm new to the N54 please tell me why I should have a custom tune?
Genuinely curious. My history is pus
h rod small blocks, so you can imagine the learning curve!
sure, you stated you have a td04 turbo...so its most likely a 17/19t which requires a bunch of supporting mods (eg. fuel pump, intercooler)

a hot rod v8 example of this would be, you got a new cam/new blower, you need a bigger fuel needle for your carb for more fuel and decrease the timing on your distributor so the car runs properly with your new mods

these cars run on efi so everything is handled by the computer, and a custom tune = someone adjusting how much boost to run, how much fuel to add/subtract and timing