DIY Oil Cooler Leaking?

ClaytonT

Private
Jan 25, 2021
BC228C02-F47B-4144-8EBE-25C2BCB46572.jpeg
217B6AAE-49FB-4C29-AA75-E04063C75DE4.jpeg

Hi guys

Yesterday I accidentally slipped the front end of my e92 335i into a shallow ditch and once I was pulled out a got a coolant too low code thrown. At home the next day I noticed a decent sized puddle of black oil on the oil cooler side of the vehicle.

I took the front wheel off and snapped these pictures of the cooler after taking off the little panel. Could someone please, please help throw some ideas around as to what you think could be the problem? There’s oil pooled in the chamber underneath the cooler that gives air from
from the right grill mesh to the wheel.

I also found an O ring on top of the plastic engine cover/skid pan/splash plate when I took it off although I’m not sure how long this has been there for. The car is also leaking an enourmous amount of coolant from the lower radiator hose but while it’s parked up I suppose that’s a problem for another day.

ClaytonT

Private
Jan 25, 2021
Probably cracked both radiators in the impact..?

Hmm that’s what I thought too, i pulled out the fan and the main radiator is fine it’s the plastic heater return hose that has a crack in it unfortunately. But this oil cooler I can’t figure out, since I’m going to the wreckers tomorrow to get a new hose should I get a new cooler as well? Or is there possibly a hose that has been disconnected from it you think? Thanks!

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Hmm that’s what I thought too, i pulled out the fan and the main radiator is fine it’s the plastic heater return hose that has a crack in it unfortunately. But this oil cooler I can’t figure out, since I’m going to the wreckers tomorrow to get a new hose should I get a new cooler as well? Or is there possibly a hose that has been disconnected from it you think? Thanks!
No idea as mine doesn’t leak do never explored the subtleties of it’s construction and connectors..

Peter55

Lurker
Aug 20, 2024
I'd say oil cooler is leaking, there's nothing with oil in front of it. Also you can see that it's dry on top. There are no direct connections to it, so it won't be a problem.
It could leak before from age, but you haven't noticed it.
Those radiators are brittle and I've seen leaking coolant radiators leaking after driving into a pothole.

ClaytonT

Private
Jan 25, 2021
I'd say oil cooler is leaking, there's nothing with oil in front of it. Also you can see that it's dry on top. There are no direct connections to it, so it won't be a problem.
It could leak before from age, but you haven't noticed it.
Those radiators are brittle and I've seen leaking coolant radiators leaking after driving into a pothole.
Okay thanks! So would you recommend I just replace the oil cooler? I suppose there wouldn’t be a fix for this, and it does seem like you’re right about it having leaked for a while as the oil around it does seems relatively old and crusty

Peter55

Lurker
Aug 20, 2024
Okay thanks! So would you recommend I just replace the oil cooler? I suppose there wouldn’t be a fix for this, and it does seem like you’re right about it having leaked for a while as the oil around it does seems relatively old and crusty
Yeah, such damages can be fixed, but it won't last, especially when it's oil and performance engine

ClaytonT

Private
Jan 25, 2021
Yeah, such damages can be fixed, but it won't last, especially when it's oil and performance engine
Okay thanks bro, I will source one today and install it this afternoon. I appreciate your help sir 🫡🫡