Datalog New N54 ower seeking log feedback

kaiv

Jul 28, 2024
Hey everyone,

New to the platform and learning how to interpret datalogs to make sure my car is running optimally.
I’ve attached 3 third gear pulls.
Tune is MHD flexfuel OTS. Fuel is E50.

Would love to get some feedback from you more knowledgeable folks.

Boost vs boost target: there’s a big gap between both when first getting on the throttle presumably because it takes time to spool up the turbos, but after that actual boost remains a couple psi below target. Normal? Or should actual match requested?

WGDC: peaks when I go WOT to close the wastegates and build boost then goes down, I assume that is normal.

Timing corrections: little to none throughout the pulls, seem OK to me.

LPFP pressure: shouldn’t that be higher at ~72.5 psi or so? This is with a bucketed Walbro 450.

HPFP pressure: ~2000 psi, OK.

IAT: steady, OK.

Oil temps: OK.

STFT: mirror each other and pull a bit of fuel. DME requesting more fuel than the engine needs? Are those #s acceptable or should they be closer to 0?

Timing advance: Not sure what the tune is targetting there but it’s definitely more aggressive than on 91ACN (which was basically 0).

Load actual vs req: I’m not sure what these numbers mean but I have a pretty big gap between the two. Is that normal?

Lambda: Looks good AFAIK

Anything else I should be looking at and logging?

Thanks in advance!

ktb_e92

Lurker
Apr 16, 2024
Indiana
Ride
2007 335i MT6
Sounds like you already got yourself pretty familiar with the safe/unsafe thresholds and important parameters to watch. Everything looked alright to me.
There's usually more timing advance for the more-aggressive maps you run. Even if you had some timing corrections you would've been fine. It's when the DME starts to pull timing is when you'd want to address it, usually coils/plugs or injector-related.
Boost/WGDC looked fine too. The warmer it is the harder it'll be to be on-point boost-wise, at least in my experience. WGDC does max out so the turbos can build boost, it's if they stayed maxed after and you were like 4-5lbs off-target is when there'd be issues. Only reason you'd hit target and it stays that way but WGDC is pretty maxed is usually when you're on a custom map with a higher boost target maxing out the turbos' efficiency range, which is ~22psi.
HPFP looked fine, LPFP did seem to stay in the 50s for a bit for you having a bigger fuel pump. Other than that it looked fine. May want to look into going bucketless if you go beyond an MHD map to a custom map. Flow is quite better. I went straight to putting a bucketless 535lph in and have never had a single low-pressure issue, from MHD Stage 1 & 2, custom 22psi stock turbo map, and now a custom 23psi 19t map.

kaiv

Jul 28, 2024
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Nice to have confirmation that things look ok.
I'm a bit stumped with the LPFP #s given the upgraded pump. I was hoping it'd be better. I went with the bucketed version thinking I need the baffle effect to avoid fuel starvation when cornering but that might have been a bad move. Concern is also that the tank is tiny (1 series) and it's quite thirsty on E50.
Can you comment on load requested vs actual? I have no idea what those numbers mean and whether I'm too far off target.

Reactions: ktb_e92

ktb_e92

Lurker
Apr 16, 2024
Indiana
Ride
2007 335i MT6
No problem, yeah there can be a few causes aside from the LPFP to reach those values, but again it’s nothing too bad so I wouldn’t worry. If it persists to the point where your rail pressure starts to drop or you trip fuel pump codes, address accordingly.
Load request is basically a parameter set for your DME to regulate itself so the load actual doesn’t exceed it by much, if even. Adding on to that, it usually prevents the engine from operating outside of its set “safe-zone” based off other known parameter limits depending on boost/e%. The space between the two on your log isn’t bad. Usually if the engine is in warmer conditions, that can already have an impact on the engine’s performance.

Reactions: san40 and kaiv